10 Alcohol Abuse Questions to Ask Your Teen
Some people find it very difficult to talk to your teens about alcohol abuse. It is a difficult but very important conversation that you need to have together. It is best to choose a time and place where you will be free from outside interruptions and distractions. If you are nervous, it’s okay to let them know that but you should also have them realize that this is a very serious conversation and not something that should be taken lightly. You will both have questions but your guidance and support will be very important to your teen as he or she makes these decisions on their own.
According to the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services, the results of a 2012 national survey reported that in teens from age 12-20 there was an estimated 24.3 percent of teens, male and female, who drank alcohol within the past month
Some Helpful Tips:
- Don’t lecture! Avoid this at all costs. Talk to them, ask them questions and get their opinions on issues relating to alcohol. If you involve make it a conversation instead of a lecture they are more likely to give you their views.
- Don’t use scare tactics! Talk about ways it can affect their life whether they are somebody who is involved in sports, their overall health and appearance, help them realize the effects abusing alcohol can have on their body.
- Talk about peer pressure- Discussing this now can help them problem solve when it does happen. Brainstorm ideas on how they can tackle this when they are faced with it.
- Be open and honest if they turn questions back to you. Be prepared if they ask if you have ever abused alcohol. Be open and honest with them so they will develop a sense of trust with you on this subject.
10 Questions to Ask Your Teen
- Do you know of any people who drink alcohol during school?
- Did you know that a young person become addicted to alcohol?
- Do you think alcoholism something that is inherited?
- Do you know what alcohol poisoning is and the dangers of it?
- Did you know that you get addicted to alcohol by only doing it occasionally?
- Do you know anybody who has been taken to the emergency room due to vomiting or blacking out after drinking?
- Do you know anybody who has driven a car after drinking?
- Do you know anyone who has posted either pictures or videos of people on social media that they have been with who are drunk? What were people’s reactions to it when they saw it?
- Do you know of anyone who has gotten in an accident or in trouble with the police because they were drunk?
- Do you know what binge drinking is and the dangers associated with it?